16 Oct CPS Strike is Imminent Tomorrow
- A mass strike of Chicago teachers and school staff appears imminent TOMORROW, Thursday, 10/17/19
- School pickets from 6:30am | UIC Solidarity Rally 11-Noon | Downtown Rally 1:30-5pm
- Support the Strike: Don’t cross pickets | Join job actions and community events | Call the Mayor (312)-744-3300
- Follow on Facebook: UICUF | CTU | SEIU | Solidarity Campaign
- Other social media: Twitter | Instagram
- Help feed students who may miss school-provided meals: Bread for Ed
At the time of this writing, a mass strike of Chicago teachers and school support staff appears imminent, with the bargaining teams saying they are still far from an agreement on a fair contract. We are awaiting final guidance from our fellow union workers in CTU/SEIU this evening, but we anticipate that strike activities will begin TOMORROW, Thursday, 10/17/19.
Sweeping changes have been proposed by Mayor Lightfoot, but not backed up in writing. Teachers and support staff have demanded that the City make good on promises concerning enforceable class size limits and fully staffing ALL schools with nurses, librarians, counselors and special ed teachers.
UIC United Faculty stands in full solidarity with striking workers at Chicago Public Schools, and we strongly encourage our members to do what they can to show support individually. There are many ways to support the strike and put pressure on City negotiators to offer workers, and the students and families they serve, a fair contract.
- Honor Picket Lines: Pickets will begin at local schools from 6:30am tomorrow. Don’t cross them, and if you’re able, join them!
- Attend Solidarity Events: A UIC Solidarity Rally is scheduled for 11-noon in the Quad tomorrow, and a downtown rally is scheduled for 1:30-5pm at the Chicago Board of Education (corner of Dearborn and Madison).
- Call Mayor Lightfoot at 312-744-3300 and ask her to put her promises in writing in an enforceable contract!
- Donate to Bread For Ed: Help feed children who will miss out on school-provided meals during the strike.
We will send periodic updates to keep you informed about the strike, but you can follow everything in real time via social media:
- Facebook: UICUF | CTU | SEIU | Solidarity Campaign
- Other social media: CTU Twitter | CTU Instagram
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at UICUnitedFaculty@gmail.com.
We issue regular updates via email, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and on our website. We encourage everyone to like and follow us on social media. If you want to contribute your story, pictures, video, or other content related to the activities of the union, email us at UICUnitedFaculty@gmail.com. With your support, we are making UIC an even better place to work and learn!