12 Apr Illinois Universities on Strike!
Three Illinois colleges are currently on strike, Governors State University, Eastern Illinois University, and Chicago State University, and all three faculty unions find themselves fighting against the same management playbook as we have seen here at UIC. Although faculty and students at these universities sacrificed during the years of budget cuts and wage freezes, their administrations have failed to prioritize the well-being of faculty and students even amid the current governor’s investment in rebuilding higher education in Illinois. Illinois universities can not move forward when university management continues treating faculty as they have in the past.
Here are ways you can offer your support:
- Donate to their strike funds, which will be used for sustenance and material supplies for strikers and volunteers as well as support for striking workers facing financial hardships. Both unions have pledged to donate unused finds, if any, to other universities on strike::
- CSU’s strike fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-chicago-state-university-strike-fund?member=26091329&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer&utm_term=undefined
- EIU’s strike fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-striking-eiu-faculty-and-staff?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer&utm_term=undefined
- Send an email to CSU’s President Scott to step up and end the strike: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-csu-president-scott-to-step-up-and-end-the-strike?source=email&
- Follow EIU-UPI on Facebook to stay informed of actions and events you can support! https://www.facebook.com/groups/403479836390999View this email in your browser