Great news! Our sister union at University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign, Non-Tenure Faculty Coalition, Local 6546, (AFT/IFT/AAUP) has ratified its first contract by an overwhelming majority.
UIC United Faculty congratulates NTFC, as well as Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson and Interim Provost Edward Feser, for reaching an agreement that will provide the teaching faculty at UIUC with some modicum of economic security and academic freedom. This collective bargaining agreement represents a significant step forward for the teaching mission of UIUC.
The IELRB recognized NTFC in July 2014. They began bargaining their contract in October 2014.
The new, five-year contract will provide full-time non-tenure-system faculty at UIUC with three-month advance notice rights prior to the beginning of the semester, and one year of extra job security for long-term faculty, beyond the duration of their current one-year contract.
NTFC Communications Chair, Dorothee Schneider, says the contract covers the “most high-priority issues for the union, whose members asked for greater employment security, academic freedom protections and participation in faculty governance.”
The contract, for August 16, 2014 – August 15, 2019, includes an option to reopen the provision on compensation next year (for the 2017-18 year). It includes:
* 2014-15: 2.5% Campus Wage program (merit pool) 2015-16: eligibility for CWP;
* 2016-17: eligibility for CWP and CMER (compression, market, equity, retention) programs;
* 2017-18: $43,000 floor, eligibility for CWP and CMER
* 2018-19: $45,000 floor, eligibility for CWP and CMER Bonus: wage reopener (at union’s request);
* 2-year window for departments to alter their bylaws to include NTTs in faculty governance;
* 2-year window for departments to alter their bylaws to create a clear evaluation system;
* A clear, multi-tier grievance system;
* Rolling 1+1 appointments (for 6th year or above; in effect Fall 2017); and
* Clear reappointment policies (notice by May 1).
Note: multi-year contracts will continue through college policies, and will be encouraged.