24 Jun Support the Bargaining Team at the Table & Remember to Vote on Tuesday
- Next Bargaining Session is Monday, June 27: UICUF’s Bargaining Committee invites union members to observe all bargaining sessions with the university’s administration.
- Illinois Primary Election is Tuesday, June 28: Don’t forget to vote if you are eligible, and you can make use of the Illinois Federation of Teachers’ endorsement list to identify strong pro-public education and pro-union candidates.
- Get-Out-The-Vote (GOTV) Opportunities: You can pitch in to support proven allies of public education who are in tough election fights.
Monday, June 27th Bargaining Session, 10 am to noon.
The UICUF Bargaining Committee will be introducing new proposals regarding three articles of our current contract:
- Article IX. Appointment, Reappointment, Promotion, Layoff and Recall
- Article XII. Hours of Work and Commitment
- Article XIV. Physical Conditions
We will also be presenting counter proposals on four other articles:
- Article IV. Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment
- Article X. Academic Freedom
- Article XI. Governance
- Article XVI. Labor Management Meetings
We are expecting counter proposals from the administration on:
- Article XV. Discipline and Dismissal
- Article XVII. Access to Personnel File
- Article XVIII. Grievance and Arbitration
Members may observe via zoom, and join conversations with colleagues during caucus sessions. Please do not speak during the live bargaining between our team and the administration.
Tuesday, June 28th Illinois Primary Election
UICUF leadership encourages our members who are eligible voters to participate in the Illinois primary election. The Illinois Federation of Teachers (IFT) has vetted candidates seeking IFT endorsement and have made endorsements in selected races where they think there is a clear preference based on candidate legislative records and stated positions on public education and unions. Members of UICUF’s Committee on Political Education participated in IFT’s endorsement process. You can find those endorsements here.
We have strong public education allies who serve in the Illinois legislature who are in contested races and have requested help. They have frequently sponsored and/or voted for bills that advocate for investment in higher education, K-12 schools, and protection of retirement benefits for public workers. They serve on important House and Senate committees and always take into consideration the impact legislation will have on working people. The opposition to their election or re-election in these races comes from the Fraternal Order of Police, the Illinois Network of Charter Schools (INCs), and/or corporate interests. Because these districts overlap, a coordinated campaign is being waged to support all of them together.
Delia Ramirez – running for the newly drawn 3rd US Congressional District, which covers much of the NW side and suburbs, and includes West Town, Humboldt Park, Hermosa, Avondale, parts of Albany Park, and extending towards Elgin. Delia is endorsed by Chuy Garcia, Elizabeth Warren, Jan Schakowsky, and Bernie Sanders. She currently serves as an assistant majority leader in the Illinois House 4th district.
Omar Aquino – Senate, 2nd district
Rob Martwick – Senate, 10th district
Lillian Jimenez – Illinois House, 4th district (running for the seat that Delia Ramirez holds).
Lindsey LaPointe – Illinois House, 19th district
Can you help us elect these allies of the public good? Contact John Cusick (firstname.lastname@example.org, 773-759-6120).
UIC United Faculty Leadership